In the winter months, Leighton Buzzard AC athletes brave the elements and take to fields and parks in local cross country league matches and sometimes in far flung locations for regional and national competitions.
New member Info:
- There is no cost to club members to run in the league events as the club pays an overall membership fee to the league.
- Members are asked to retain their league number for the season as they contain an electronic timing chip.
- The club will also pay individual entry fees to the championship races below, but will ask for reimbursement if you do not run.
We compete in the Chiltern Cross-Country League which involves races for all age groups across five fixtures each winter. Having been promoted back to Division 1 at the end of the 2009/10 season, the club had it’s highest ever finish of 5th in both the 2015/16 and 2016/17 seasons.
All of the events are on Saturdays and the fixtures for the 2022/23 season are as follows:
- October 15th – Horspath, Oxford
- November 12th – Teardrop Lakes, Milton Keynes
- December 3rd – Stopsley Common, Luton
- January 14th – Campbell Park, Milton Keynes
- February 11th – Keysoe Equestrian Centre, North of Bedford
For the November event we will need a lot of support to help marshal and for course set up/clean up etc
A link to the Chiltern Cross Country League Website can be found below
Many club members compete in County, Southern and National cross-country championships. These are all great events and give you the chance to test yourself against people from across the regions.
The fixtures for 2022-23 will be added below:
- November 5th – English National XC Relays – Berry Hill, Mansfield
- November 19th – Eastern Champs – Southill Park, Biggleswade
- December 10th – Southern Masters Champs – Horspath, Oxford
- January 7th – Beds & Bucks County Champs – Ampthill Park, Ampthill
- January 28th – Southern Champs – Beckenham Place Park, Beckenham, BR3 1SY
- February 25th – English National Champs – Bolesworth Castle, near Tattenhall, Chester
It should be noted that Chiltern League fixtures and the Southerns, Counties and Nationals count towards Club Championship points.